Effective equipment combinations for use by Orcs in Illyriad:
Clan Guardsman Defenders
- Unit: Clan Guardsman
- Weapon: Iron-Banded Spear
- Armour: Extra Heavy Armour (Leather)
- Best Attack: -4% (-8% Elite)
- Best Defence: +30% (+60% Elite)
- Uses: The Clan Guardsmen are the best spear units in the game (relative to upkeep cost). This load-out gives a hefty 60% to Elite units defending. The full bonus is only good against swords and cavalry; you’re not quite so strong against archers or spears, and you have a penalty trying to attack. Looks like a great load-out for holding a woodland square, but there are no penalties for any terrain or biome. This is a great all-round defence load-out.
- Unit: Fang
- Weapon: Chitin-Crafted Shortsword
- Armour: Highland Armour (Leather)
- Best Attack: +24% (48% Elite Units)
- Best Defence: 23% (46% Elite Units)
- Movement Speed: +15%
- Uses: Extremely strong on Mountains (+24% attack, 23% defence), but also an effective combination in Forests (18% attack, 17% defence), this load-out is slightly more flexible than a load-out focused on one terrain type. As a bonus, the sword also gives you an improved movement speed. This is most effective used in attack, but (unlike a load-out using Vanguard’s Armour, for example) it still strengthens you in defence. This load-out only makes sense, however, if you can get the equipment cheaply – but my guess is that there probably won’t be many people using the Chitin-Crafted sword, so you should be able to get the ingredients inexpensively. Don’t use it on hills or plains.
- Unit: Death Pack
- Weapon: Hill-Tribe Spear
- Armour: Upland Platemail
- Horse: War Wolf (Discovery only – cannot be researched)
- Best Attack: +44% (+88% Elite Units)
- Best Defence: +44% (+88% Elite Units)
- Uses: An 88% bonus on your already fearsome Death Pack attacks makes small groups of Orc cavalry the most effective units for attacking on hills. Massed ranks of Human Knights may still rule the plains, but this load-out makes Orc Death Packs a fearsome force rampaging across hills in small scale conflicts.
(This post is a work in progress. I will be adding more here as devious options present themselves. Load-outs listed here are in addition to the obvious load-outs that work for all races – like giving T2 cavalry kit that boost their attacks. Don’t assume that these load-outs are better than the more obvious options – but they may give you tactical options that you hadn’t considered before. Note, a key issue with equipment in Illyriad is what you can actually get hold of – many options that look great on paper are not viable in reality if the equipment and their constituent ingredients are not available to you. Make sure you have a good supply of the ingredients before building buildings to manufacture this equipment. If you can’t get what you need on the map or markets, talk to your alliance, and if that doesn’t work then look for other equipment options.)